There are a number of reasons steel tubing is a chosen material: its strength, its durability, and its versatility. Another important reason to choose steel tubing is for its sustainability: steel is a ‘green’ material, and it’s a better choice when it comes to our environment. The steel industry is at the center of the green economy and employs millions of people worldwide.
Here are ways that the steel industry is “doing well by doing good”:
- Steel is the most recycled material in the country – more than paper, aluminum, plastic and glass combined! Each year more than 14 million tons of steel are recycled from old vehicles, which is equivalent to nearly 8.5 million new automobiles.
- Because it is magnetic, steel is the easiest material to separate from the solid waste stream.
- When you buy steel, you are always buying a recycled material.
- It takes more than 40 trees to build a wood-framed home, as opposed to 4 recycled cars to frame a typical 2,000 square foot home.
- 83,000 tons of steel was used in the building of the Golden Gate Bridge. Because of advancements in steel production over the years, only half that amount would be needed today.
- Steel can be a socially responsible choice, too! A major retailer has recently partnered with a jewelry company to manufacture bracelets made from steel sourced from bullets and illegal guns. A portion of net proceeds are donated to community-level nonprofit groups with anti-violence missions.
Service Steel is proud to be part of an industry which has demonstrated innovation throughout its history, and continues to do so today.